Monday, January 31, 2011

Only in Spain

What would you do if you went home, and a member of your family told you they had bullfighting practice?


Only in Spain, my friends, would this happen.

I never really thought about going to a bullfight, as I've been told it's stereotypical of Spain and may people go all their lives without seeing one- but Sunday I was able to go for the first time.


They call it bullfighting, but they don't actually kill the bull. This bullfighting school is for students 14?-18. After 18, they can go further with their career and start actually killing bulls.


My host sister is in this school, and Sunday my host family and I went to this event. First there was a mass in a tent outside the bullring. This was interesting, as it has only been the second mass I have been to during my stay here in Spain.


Next, we all went to watch. After, there was a big meal with everyone- the bullfighters and family. This was a very nice lunch, not to mention very Spanish.

Plates just kept being brought out, one after another. First, ham, bread, and cheese. Second, potatoes & peppers with olive oil (everything, everything in olive oil...) Third, a typical prepared salad (olive oil!). Fourth, a plate of various types of meats. Fifth, another type of meat. Sixth, dessert. I'm sure I am missing two plates for sure which at the moment I cannot remember what they were.


I wish I knew more about all the rules to explain even more, but until then here are some snapshots I took.







They have to put the bulls away; as usually they are killed and dragged off by horses. This can prove to be a difficult task...

And don't underestimate the women of this country- as they were there too.






Grab life by the horns?




-mb

No comments:

Post a Comment