Friday, January 21, 2011

Alicante

So first of all, a big happy birthday to my older brother. I miss you :(


Second, I have received news from AFS that I am moving to a new host family in Alicante. I have very mixed feelings about this. As I am very happy to be placed with a host family that really wants to have a student, but at the same time, the move brings up so many changes. A huge reason why I picked to stay a year is because I wanted a strong, year long relationship being with a family. Experiencing beginning to end, changing and growing with the same family is huge. Picking AFS over other exchange programs was also partly because AFS has their students stay with the same host family year long, instead of making switches two or three times.

Though it is difficult not to think too hard, I feel like five months is nothing. I hope that with these last five months I am able to have a very strong experience. It's getting down to crunch time, and it's though I am on two different programs. One- in Madrid, Spain. The country's capital and largest city. Two- Alicante. Not as big, but more of a resort town on the beach. Both very cool.

But I am back to square one.

The same feeling of awaiting the application, knowing the basics, researching the area, etc. etc.

The same 'unfamiliarity' that a student longs for.

I still have yet to write a blog post on that. More or less of what I'm trying to say is- I've finally found familiarity. I recognize people on the metro. I know the streets of the city. I know how long it takes to get where. I know how the school works. I have my friends here.

I have my friends here.

What a simple sentence. Let's break it down.

I, Mary Beth, a human being

Have, something that takes time

My, mine, not others

Friends, the people I enjoying being with and can't imagine living without

Here, as in this town, right now, in Madrid.


How can I just leave? It's like moving to another country. Even if I see them a time or two, we will never have this type of everyday normal life friendship again. I know we will keep in touch, but I am about to go through a completely new stage of life.

And what is that? A five month life.

I have to:

Adapt to my surrounds.
Learn the norms.
Change myself.
Make new friends.
Accept the concept of having a new family.
and completely merge into a different life.

Knowing I will leave in five months.


It's one thing to sign up for a six month program. That's great if you want only a taste of a lifestlye. You know you are only there for a short time, and can plan for such an early return. Me? I have to cram a lot of goodbyes and 'last times' in less than a week. I can't even start to list the things I haven't done in Madrid yet. There are so many things that I don't have the time to do before I go.

So here I am, sitting, wondering what my 'next life' is going to be like. I am overly thrilled to be living on a beach for the first time in my life.

But the thought of leaving my friends continues to haunt me.

In time, sure. It will get easier. Time brings adjustment, and things will start to once again, become familiar.

On the bright side, I am psyched to know that I am going to a better place.


The buck stops here. I have not much more to explain, as the concept is simple. I am very suddenly being placed in a new position, starting over for my second time.

Let's not forget going back to the states is yet another adjustment yet to come.

And to wrap up my post, I would like to make a shout out to all my friends.

Thank you, for being there.

I would also like to thank all of the adults that have helped me through these past five months of living on my own. I have to thank my host family for hosting me, as they have given me all that they can. I can also add the fact that I have learned a ton in these past five months. I have to thank my future host family, that I know they will be great and I am overly excited about being a part of their family.

Thank you, all, for everything.




I hope the future brings promise. And that in those promises, there is good.


My bus leaves next Thursday afternoon.

-mb

1 comment: