Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Paella

A few differences from school in Madrid vs. school in Alicante are as follows:

1. I look out my classroom window and see palm trees.
2. I walk approximately 3-4 minutes to my school right next door.
3. School starts at 8:00AM (not 8:45AM)
4. We have TWO 20 minute recreos, and the kids actually do bring snacks.
5. The gate surrounding the school is electronically locked at all times and you have to get someone to open it for you.
6. There is an overhead screen in ..2? of my classrooms.
7. The door numbering system makes no sense. You can be walking and go down one hallway with even numbers only on the right, and another that goes in numerical order. Some doors go from 202-212, right next door.
8. School is bigger.
9. If something isn't wanted, it doesn't get thrown out the window. It gets thrown around the classroom first before getting to the outdoors. This is typically paper balls and airplanes- some even get advanced and use slingshots.

And pens? Oh they love to throw those. Somewhat dangerous, and make really loud noises when thrown at the chalkboard where a student is trying to finish a problem. I don't think they actually try to hit the person at the board though, just see how close they can get... I counted about 12 pens on the floor after class one day. All in the same spot at the board...

10. Paella.

Now this isn't the Spanish food we're talking about, we're talking about the game that my math class plays. I had to ask after class one day, as I was in confusion the entire time, sitting, watching the craziest class I've seen in my life.

It's called Paella and it's really simple. Everyone is a part of the "paella." You can be shrimp, chicken, vegtables, beef, rice, etc. Someone calls out something (Ex. RICE!) in the "paella" and everyone who is that food (RICE) has to stand up. When someone yells out "PAELLA!" Everyone stands up. Let's keep in mind that not everyone plays, as the rest prefer throwing things. (It's not an actual authorized game by the teacher either..) Between this and the clapping game, it's a very interesting circus.

The clapping game? This one I couldn't figure out. There are two chalkboards side by side- everytime she crossed the middle line the students clapped. Well, some of them. The others were too busy with sling shots...

When I grow up, I do not want to be a substitute teacher in a Spanish school. The real teacher who I have yet to meet, broke her foot(so I've been told)- so there is a sub. I'll remind you again that if a teacher doesn't show up for a day- there is no class. We simply go outside to the patio and talk or something.

I was asked if classes were like this in the states. I wasn't really sure how to answer...




Bon appetit

-mb

1 comment:

  1. hahahhahah we played paella in class too :DDD

    it looks like you're doing well!

    miss you heaps!

    ReplyDelete