Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Checkpoint- 6 months


Last weekend was the AFS 'halfway mark' orientation in Valencia. This is another point on the timeline, as with only four months remaining we are able to look back on our year knowing we still have a little bit of time left.


After six months, here is my AFS checkpoint list:

1. Transportation- I have learned to use the transportation system. The bus, train, and metro combination here is incredible. I don't think twice about using a combination of the three, and am able to manage my time well to get to my destination on time. A car seems more or less pointless here- especially when it takes longer to park than to get to your destination.


(Metro Map of Valencia)

2. Tourism- The 'tourist traps' don't catch me like they used to. I am able to "know better" and find other places to buy things for better quality and price, even if it takes a litte more work.



3. Cell phone- After five and a half months I was finally able to relieve myself of handing over my life savings to Vodafone and have switched to Yoigo- only 8 (EURO) cents per minute/text unlike the 35 with Vodafone.

4. Food- I have discovered new foods that I previously didn't like in the States, and have tried many new Spanish dishes. My goal is to learn to like olives, as I am in Spain and that is the only food I have found to not like..

5. TV- As I can understand the TV more or less, my goal is to be able to understand the news and soccer games (they talk the fastest) PERFECTLY by the end of my stay.



6. Pickpocketers- Yes. As mentioned in my blog "Day 136" I have been pickpocketed. As much as I did not like this, it's something that is more or less 'a good thing' because I have learned a lot from this experience. As much as I wanted to think I was careful, I am very more aware of my surroundings. And pickpocketers are everywhere. As I was sitting with two other AFSers at a cafe in Valencia, they were telling me different stories of how certain 'groups' works. Example: There are ladies who walk around with some type of plant/herb/flower and try to distract you, while the other one robs you while you aren't looking. As I had my bag in my lap the whole time, I was really taken back at how distracted yet I was by her. There are many other stories just like this one.



7. Weather- If I had a penny for everytime someone gave me a weird look or comment for going out in shorts and a t-shirt I would be a very rich person. Here in Alicante I can't believe at how wonderful the weather is, as it feels like summer is starting.


8. Crosswalks- Quite often I wonder if Americans who return to the states are often hit by cars at crosswalks. Here in Spain (the places I have been to, to say the least) pedestrians have the right-of-way at almost every crosswalk. And even if they don't, cars will stop for you in the middle of the road. In the main, big streets not as much, but every little sidestreet is ruled by the pedestrians. I am really enjoying this, and wonder how different it'll be for when I return.


9. People- After six months I can say that I am starting to understand the mentality (more or less) in this country. Absolutely everything being closed during lunch and Sunday doesn't seem like a crisis anymore. In school I am starting to understand more of how the teachers look and communicate with the students.


10. Home- I have found that Spain isn't the United States, but in it's own distinct way Spain has become my second home. This country has changed me and made me more of who I am. I am learning a different way of life, and have a better understanding of this culture.


11. Soccer- After all the time waiting, I was able to make it to a Real Madrid game, and also go through the tour of the stadium. Soccer here is everywhere- it ties in the young with the old, and is always a conversation starter. It's on TV, and going to games is huge. I have never really followed soccer, but I hope to do a better job keeping up with all the scores the second half of the year.




12. Spanish- Of course I am always trying to improve my Spanish. A student from an English speaking country is different than the reverse- because you simply can't hide from English. It's absolutely everywhere. Other languages are less common, and I really am hoping to fully be thinking in Spanish soon. I don't have a deadline for this, but hope to get there shortly.



13. Music- Two things. One, I need to desperately start listening to more music in Spanish. I don't know too many artists, but am really going to dedicate some time into looking for some. This should help with #12. Secondly, I have been to a flamenco show, something very Spanish as well. (Kind of goes hand in hand with the bullfighting thing.) Even though it's not everywhere like some people might think, I was very happy to check that off my list of "Spanish things to do."



14. Activities- Today I went for a run along the beach, which I really enjoyed. I hope to start doing more athletic activites in the remaining months, and discover new sports such as fencing, which I did in Madrid. This includes improving my photography.




15. Foreigners- My goal is to be mistaken for something other than German or Russian. I've never been asked so many times in my life for being either of the two. Along with this, I need to learn how to say "I don't speak Spanish" in a 'rarely spoken' language, because frankly street vendors can ask me to buy something in Spanish, English, German, Valenciano, and Italian. I thought I would win with atleast one of the above, but they get me every time.


16. The Best- Last but not least, my goal is to live the next four months to the fullest. This experience has taught me a lot so far, and I don't want to continue on doing anything less.






I noticed in #11 I said "After all the time waiting"... yeaaaaaaaaah. English.

We'll just pretend like I never wrote that.


-mb





"No one else cares about how good your year is, only you." -Jake Moser

No comments:

Post a Comment