Thursday, May 12, 2011

Access Denied?


Brett Favre: I'm 'done with football.'

Was the first thing I saw on a webpage I opened today. It made my day.



 

One thing I keep forgetting to mention is license restrictments. They are all over the place. After 8.5 months I'm used to them popping up, but at first it was like- "What?"


Smaller countries don't necesarily spend a lot of money on buying rights to music, videos, etc. It was something I never thought about really. As far as I remember I had access to everything I wanted at home.

                   

                       ..."no other alternative"? What is this?



Amazon
It started with Pandora music. Followed with Hulu, and later some videos on youtube, ABC News, Rhapsody, etc. Some music videos can't be played either. This doesn't indicate that the content is bad- it just means the rights weren't bought or permitted. (For those of you who don't study computers, your IP address gives away your location. There are illegal ways to get around this- but I don't know how.)

Hulu
 
I've not run into anything too drastic- i.e. Facebook is blocked in China and other countries. Turkey has blocked Blogger before.






The first time was the weirdest. I had a heads up about Pandora and Hulu, but some other times caught me off guard.



As well as licenses and such, many times a website asks you where you are for the language/country news/etc.


Shopping on Nike.com


It's not too big of a deal. Usually when going to MSN, Bing, Yahoo, and other search engines- they simply ask your location in order to put the latest news in your area. Some videos are blocked because of a song in the video due to rights, etc. Same with shopping online. Different countries offer different things, have different price/currency, etc.

But we do eventually find our websites that replaces our favorite online music radio.








Skype offers screenshare...
-mb


No comments:

Post a Comment