Friday, July 23, 2010

paparazzi

SPAIN WINS!!!!!!!!!

in overtime. incredible.


Since the United States has yet to claim the title, there´s no wonder why the World Cup isn´t near as popular here vs. other places. We´re not able to stay excited for too long... But hey, at least we have the Olympics.

For all of you who missed it, here´s the winning goal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awrgy_rK1T0

Let´s do a quick flashback to second grade math. What´s 44 minus 15? 4 becomes a 3, carry the 1, 14 minus 5 is 9, 3 minus 1 is 2,... bingo! 29. The magic number of pounds that can be inside my suitcase. Who knew a suitcase weighs 15 pounds? Sure, that´s nothing, but when you can´t have more than 44? Wow. But I can´t say I´ve weighed clothes before, so I might find myself pleasantly surprised...

Recently I have been chatting with a few AFSers going abroad this year. I have also met two people who will be on my flight. It´s really nice to talk to other kids who are going through the same thing, wondering the same questions, and running into the same problems. It´s just another nice thing about exchange- getting connected with others around the world, whether they are in the same state, country, or destination.

One of my friends is hosting a student from Spain- which is really cool. Looks like there will be 5-7 kids so far in our town. I´m looking forward to the arrival orientation and will post more about that when the time comes.

Oh yeah, the newspaper interviewed me on my exchange year. (Thank you dad, who woke me up at 6:50 am to show me the newspaper… I´m not actually sure if I read it or just stared it down, trying to figure out how to read something so early in the morning. One hour later? Yes, I was then woken up a second time by mom asking if she could have the paper. Sheesh :) Never fails though, words get twisted and weird pictures get chosen to be place on the front page.. So a few corrections- #1. Yes, I will miss my family, but I won´t be homesick and lock myself in a room and be depressed. I simply think the 10.5 months will go by very quickly during this awesome experience- so no time to be sad. Apologies to my family- well, you can read the article. They made it sound like I´m a terrible person. #2. I don´t have anything Spanish in my home for a picture. I haven´t been to Spain yet! So the Spanish books in the picture? Not my idea. And I wasn´t actually reading of course, just thinking about how weird it would look in the paper. Hm...

Here´s the link to the article: http://www.marshallindependent.com/page/content.detail/id/517878.html

Whether you´re an exchange student, host family, or friend, the greatness of exchange never ends. Yesterday I met a friend returning for a visit from Bolivia. She stayed here the 2008-09 year. Meeting friends, getting connected with others from around the world, return trips and visits... it´s all part of an exchange program. Meeting her again, seeing how we´ve both changed, it´s incredible. Even after a year is up, and students return home, the exchange experience is never over. It simply continues, just in a different way.


No news on a host family yet. Soon? Possibly. I´m pretty sure I´ve accepted the fact I won´t find out until much closer to my departure. I´m ok with it really. It makes everything more...adventurous? Somethin like that. Well, that´s all I have for now.

Adiós! -mb


7/26/10

I would also like to thank Mrs. McConnaughey for contacting AFS and putting my article on the AFS USA website.
The link can be found here: http://www.afsusa.org/usa_en/news/afs_in_media/10958

No comments:

Post a Comment