Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Life

During school last year I would frequently write in my notebook, in order to ¨save¨ those moments that I would forget by the time I got home. The other day I was going through my notebooks, looking for chemistry notes. You may not laugh (or cry) like I did after re-reading this, but I thought I should share it. Titled ¨Life¨, here is a glance at what happened on an average day. (Note my English...)



(Written Feb. 4th, 2011)

Life

Welcome to the world of being foreign. Today started out with math class, and the substitute teacher asked me if I needed something. Me, sitting in the back of the room still without a mathbook, continued by explaining how I´m an exchange student. She looked at me with that stupid look she gives me, and continued to try and explain something that was on the board. I looked at her again and said once again how I don´t have a book, and that math in Madrid was very different, that was from previous years. The next class was history, and our teacher didn´t come, so we all went to the library. I was pretty surprised how ¨good¨ everyone was considering that there was no teacher. It was there in the library that the other American asked me if I had a calculator for the economy test the next hour. Economy test? I had no idea there was going to be an economy test. We get to class and the teacher handed out the test to everyone. Including me. Let´s back up and refresh ourselves on the fact that this is my 5th day at this school, and my 4th day in this class. My 4th economy class in my entire life. She is fully aware of the fact I have never taken economy before, but continued to hand me the test anyways. She handed me the test in such a manner there it was obvious that I was ¨invisible¨ and wanted to advoid talking to me at all costs. I wrote my name, and continued to read the test. Staring at it in confusion, with all of the economy abbreviations and concepts, I was unable to answer a single question. I raised my hand, and continued to be ignored. The teacher helped everyone around me, minus myself. My hand continued to be raised. I waited. Finally, she couldn´t ignore me any longer when she took roll call. She came over and I asked her what she wanted me to do. She was irritated with me as I couldn´t finish the test. She continued to tell me that she doesn´t understand why I am in economy halfway through the year. She was also speaking to me in a very broken English. This can be rather insulting sometimes, when your level of language is higher than their level of yours. The teacher still confused and angry, took my test and told me to read a book. I guess I didn´t make it clear enough the first two times that I didn´t have one. So I wrote this blog post. Cool.





-mb

No comments:

Post a Comment