Thursday, October 27, 2011

dieciocho

Eighteen. Even though it doesn't mean much in the United States, it is a milestone.
In Spain, eighteen is a big deal. Scratch that. In Europe, eighteen is a big deal. Just one of the differences of coming back home.

I remember sitting and writing the post "Seventeen". I sat there and wondered what life was going to be like exactly one year from them. I wondered about all the things I would be doing differently the next year, hitting the "18" number.

That's now.

And I still can't believe it's been a year. Things, obviously, are very different from this day last year. Infact, last year's birthday was not what I pictured it to be. Before I left on exchange, I never pictured myself sitting in my room with nothing to do, wondering if my host family had a clue it was my birthday. I remember chatting to someone on facebook, saying, "I don't think they have a clue it's my birthday."

That experienced changed me. One year later I still do not know why, but somehow, it changed me.

But I mean yes, things did work out. From what I picked up my tutor reminded them that day, or the day before, and minutes before we ate dinner they ran up to "El Corte Ingles" to get a few things for myself.

Straight up, I want to say the truth. I received a white towel, two hangers (yes, for like pants or jackets), a lanyard, bumble bee slippers, and a storage box for my birthday. I wasn't expecting anything big, nor did I know what to expect. It taught me a great lesson about gifts, because this time it was real. You can read about it in books or stories all you want, but it doesn't actually teach you anything until it becomes real. My host family, striving to provide for themselves, sacrificed to give me what they could for my birthday.

Even though I was completely aware of the situation at the time, one year ago I look at that completely different. I wonder what their thoughts were, or any cues I overlooked.

I will never forget the excitement they had when I opened the gifts. How proud they were. And that, is something I will take with me for the rest of my life.

When you live something, only then does it hit you. After all your life you finally get to experience something first hand. Let people talk up anything they want. Mission trips are great. That's experiencing something first hand. But what about living it? Every day life for five months? That will change you.

One year ago I was a bit stressed to say the least. Things did not "turn out as expected"- a phrase that I would like to call stereotypical. No orientation could have prepared me for last year. But think of it as a math test. If you are given all the answers, would you learn anything? No.



The memories of being at a Chinese restaurant, sneaking an ice cream cake into a theme park, having a day filled of being with friends, is something I'll never forget. The "triple birthday" celebration of last year was awesome.

And a thank you to all my friends who helped me so much last year. I don't think I'll ever to be able to repay you.


Read "Seventeen." The significance of this cake is unbelievable.



Anddd a happy early birthday to Jake and Pinja! Hope your day is filled with squirrely things.


-mb

Oct. 25th, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Aaw that is such a cute birthday! If anything, celebrating your birthday outside your home country is a big deal. <3 Your family is amazing. :)

    -Zakiyya

    ReplyDelete