Friday, April 1, 2011

Los Fools y Los Schools

"Today's April Fool's Day."

"No it's not."


If only I could explain the irony. In Spain the equivalent of our 'April Fools Day' is actually on December 28th. Therefore, there were no bromas en Spain hoy.

Bromas? Whoa. Yes bromas. Jokes.

Before leaving for Spain I wondered how it would be like to think in another language. This week I've noticed a 'click'-ing moment with the language. Even though ups and downs on the language level change (and trust me, daily..) I am starting to think in Spanish significantly more. Significantly meaning, I am loosing words in English. And... forgetting completely about the United States. Well, just about. That part is huge. Speaking and listening to English isn't a crutch, and I for once don't enjoy listening to it. My iPod has been turned off for a while. Those annoying voices...

Sounds lame, I know.

Level of comprehension? BOOM! It's almost there. I'm starting to enjoy school a lot more.

                                                So what do Spanish schools look like?
                                                             I finally have pictures.

There are a lot of things written in Valencian, the language dialect of the Valencia area. This is an example of the back school gate. There aren't too many things in Alicante in Valencian, and my school is taught in Castillian Spanish (is that how you say Castellano in English?) with only the names of certain door names such as "Secretary" written in both languages.

SECRETARIA
SECRETARIA

As you can see I sometimes wonder why they are 'translated'. The language is very similar (not always THIS similar...) and I can understand it written and spoken a lot of times. Google fails to have 'Valencian' on the translator. Hmm...

Benches. Not sure how else to describe this place
...also where some kids come during recreo (recess).

School and outside courts. This is the side that is relatively new. Notice the graffiti on the wall.
It's actually allowed and is done and encouraged as an activity with the school.

I've had to explain what "I got five bucks on it" means a dozen times.
I don't actaully understand why it says that.

Small cars in Europe? Think again.
Mopeds and ..dirt bikes? Are the way to get around here.
Therefore the parking spaces as planned accordingly...and the
teachers have their own parking lot.


The other day we went to a volleyball game. I wasn't sure what to expect. The game started at 7:15. Right? Wrong. At 7:15 the gates were still locked, there was no coach, with about 7 or so students of whom were waiting outside the building. 7:30ish we are in, and kids are still arriving. Without uniforms.

I'm not sure how the volleyball system works, so I'm not sure if it was just my school. The majority of the girls on both 'teams' I know for sure were from my school. So it wasn't like 'school vs. school.'

After about a 5-10 minute warm up, they started to put up the volleyball net. I guess there was some confusion so they weren't able to tie it up completely...

It was interesting to watch, and a good experience for me to see how sports are in here in Spain. Not every school has sports, but this is atleast something.

I went with three other friends. We don't have school colors, or...a crowd.

But it was still fun.


(Notice the fence surrounding the school...refer to other blogs to understand.)

Here are some snapshots from my school in Madrid...

Standing outside entrance. Notice: Another fence.


Where we have gym. This goal for handball(?) is at every school I've seen.
The court is usually used for soccer.


Entrance of school.

In Madrid there was always (that I know of) one gate open. At all times. I did not discover that leaving school was a problem until I went to Alicante. The funny thing is, more kids actually GO to school in Madrid than Alicante. Our math class in Alicante for example, will have a 'good day' if more than eight students show up. Usually it's myself, two other exchangers, and about five or six other kids. I'm not sure where everyone else goes. Or how. But they seem to come and go as they please. In Madrid the students typically stayed in school. I can't remember but maybe once when they left.

And the gate was always open. There were no cameras.

And in Alicante? My philosophy teacher was saying how there were 18 people absent one day. That was a strange day in class. Thinking back to the states, I have no fence around my school. We could physically leave whenever we want. Infact, a lot of students ever have their own car.

Today leaving school, myself and two other German exchanges had to get photocopies, which meant we were running a minute behind the others leaving school. The director had to let us out. While we were waiting we were telling him how in Germany and the States it's April Fool's Day. He turned around (as I thought I heard someone talking to him) and yelled, "HOLA!"

I looked. Looked again. Looked through the windows. Saw no one.

"I don't see anyone." I replied.

..."There isn't anyone. It's my joke. I'm talking to the cameras."

I turned around. Looked up. Never fails. There, clearly, was a camera. I knew there were cameras. I guess I just forget they are needed so often. And don't get me wrong, my school in the states has cameras too. But the fence? I'm still left to wonder.



Happy normal first of April day
-mb





No comments:

Post a Comment