Monday, November 29, 2010

Searching for Snow

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;

He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near


Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.



-Robert Frost






Saturday a group of us AFS students went hiking in the mountains. For like five hours. Possibly some of the best five hours ever. The trip was absolutely incredible. Our journey took us through a completely distinct part of Spain. The mountains are completely different and offer a completely different view of what Spain has to offer.

We were told to come prepared for 15 centimeters of snow...This confused me as being from Minnesota- 15cm of snow is like warning someone there is grass in your front yard. Don't let the pictures fool you- my friend and I took turns carrying the coats or the backpack :)

The first sighting of snow? Well, we almost missed it. But the higher we climbed, the more snow there was. And we found enough to have a snowball fight---AWESOME!

We also encountered cows (with a cow bell- something I've never actually seen used before) and horses. They all belonged to someone- but it was really interesting how you were free to walk right up to them.

Today is a day to go down in history. Not only was it the first snowfall (picture below a view outside my window)in Madrid, but also the day I received my Student Card (Extended Visa) as well.

...And don't worry, I had to go to two different places and ask five people for directions. Any future AFS Spain student should contact me for directions, as I can give you a perfect metro-by-metro color coded building (& opening and closing times) guide. Along with the list of places that were the "old" government buildings...




Before closing, I would like to give a big Muchas Gracias to Esther & Miguel for letting me borrow the snow pants, gloves, shoes, and SWEET (Me encanta MUCHO!) hat. As not only did this make my hike possible, I felt pretty cool :)


Happy Snow Searching

-mb



Oh yeah, and my spell check is now in Spanish. But the website is still in English? Super.

No comments:

Post a Comment